Head of Growth
Must be based in, or willing to relocate to, West Africa
Location: For the first 12-18 months, this position will be based full-time in Accra, Ghana
Occasional travel to SunFarmer Nepal's office in Kathmandu and to other West African markets may be required
Are you interested in building a powerful business from scratch?
Do you have dreams of relocating to West Africa and managing a multi-national team? Do you want to shape the solar energy industry?
SunFarmer is a Y-Combinator backed social enterprise that launches, incubates, and accelerates solar businesses in developing countries. SunFarmer companies provide affordable electricity-generating solar systems to hospitals, factories, homes, and farms. After successfully launching SunFarmer Nepal and stewarding the business to profitability, we’re replicating our model with SunFarmer Ghana. Over the next five years, we plan to incubate four to five additional companies in adjacent markets.
As we expand from Nepal to Ghana, and soon thereafter from Ghana to multiple additional countries, we seek a Head of Growth to lead our overall on-the-ground work and country expansion across multiple geographies.
You will ultimately manage a multi-national team and serve on the boards of multiple early-stage solar companies. The successful candidate will be highly entrepreneurial with strong business savvy, interpersonal skills, analytical ability, and grit. The successful candidate must be willing and excited to relocate to West Africa, and to spend the next 2-3 years living primarily in developing countries (Ghana, Nepal, plus additional expansion targets).
· Lead SunFarmer’s expansion into new countries, beginning with Ghana.
o Collaborate with the Ghanaian Founding Entrepreneurs of SunFarmer Ghana as they launch and grow a new solar business. The Head of Growth will be deeply involved in starting this new business from scratch, using the playbook we have developed at SunFarmer Nepal. Key functions will include:
§ Customer and product research
§ Develop business plan
§ Build HR processes and hire local staff
§ Establish partnerships with government and industry
§ Establish supply chain partnerships
§ Start selling to customers and generating revenues
§ Oversee local legal / accounting
o Lead expansion into SunFarmer’s third country
§ Evaluate and select market
§ Relocate to new country and run recruitment process for Founding Entrepreneurs
· Will have the opportunity to manage and coordinate a team across multiple geographies (though initially only in Ghana), including additional SunFarmer Global “Country Pioneers” who are posted full-time in their respective countries.
· May have the opportunity to serve as a Director on the Boards of SunFarmer Ghana, and ultimately SunFarmer countries #3, #4, etc., alongside independent directors (local business leaders)
· Entrepreneurial spark – You understand that starting new companies is risky, but you live for the challenge
· Management mindset – You always look for ways to magnify your effectiveness by delegating, coaching, and guiding others (both direct reports as well as lateral and upwards management) to get the most done
· Hustle – You balance creative thinking with dogged persistence to push the company forward
· Intellect – We have a high performing team, and want to collaborate with the smartest, best people we can find
· Integrity – We seek someone with outstanding personal integrity who is honest, treats others fairly, and is uninterested in taking shortcuts, in their quest to build a successful business
· Bachelor’s or master’s degree from top tier university
· Excitement to live and work primarily in developing countries for the next 3-5 years
· Knowledge of energy markets; exposure to solar in particular
· 2 to 5 years of work experience; developing world and/or energy industry experience preferred
· Technical skills are a plus, though not required
· Experience living or working in developing countries is a plus, you should understand the adventure you’re embarking on
INTERESTED? CONTACT HR@SUNFARMER.ORG
INCLUDE A CV / RESUME AND ANY OTHER RELEVANT WORK SAMPLES
PLEASE WRITE “GHANA COUNTRY PIONEER” IN EMAIL SUBJECT LINE